Sunday, January 29, 2017

Exploring Abu Dhabi

Started the day in Abu Dhabi looking out at the sunrise from the top floor of my daughter's apartment house.
They have a wonderful gym there. Later that morning I decided to overcome my fears and venture out alone in the neighborhood. I tried a new route and discovered an American International School I did not know was there.
Then a few blocks later I found a French school for children. What a great opportunity for children to be immersed in a foreign language. I found a bank that said it was for women, so I assumed only women were allowed in.
However, I found men using the ATM! Throughout the neighborhood there is a mix of shops for laundry, supermarkets, Starbucks, restaurants, tailoring shops, flower and candy store, bakery specializing in cupcakes a gents saloon for men( a barber shop) and a beauty shop for women, just to name a few.
     I learned that at some religiously conservative hotels, such as the one we stayed at in Dubai, unmarried couples who try to share a room are turned away.
Another useful tidbit about hotels is that when you enter the room you put your electronic key in this device to turn on the power.
I learned this the hard way a few years ago when I couldn't get the lights to turn on at an airport hotel!Also I was surprised when I first saw machines that both washed and dried clothes!
However, most people use frying racks to dry their clothes.
      When you stop to get gas at a plaza , there is a prayer room as well.
A new destination on the side of the road between Abu Dhabi and Dubai is a food truck stop. There were at least 20 food trucks! Here was the eye catching sign as well as what it looks like.
Also people are very friendly here. Even though it has been a year since I was here, the lifeguards at the pool remembered me as did the women at the beauty salon.
My daughter's co-worker even sent home a beautiful scarf as a welcoming present.
      We plan on attending exercise classes such as Zumba, Body Pump, and Pilates at a nearby gym. There are some classes designated "Ladies Only", which is common here, as is also a completely  "Ladies Only" gym.

No comments:

Post a Comment