Wednesday, March 1, 2017

Patrick's home

    I went to the Unbound HOM (stands for House of Mercy) subproject office outside of Nairobi.
I met all the staff from the office and they made me feel welcome.
Several elderly women came to the office to collect their food benefits.
The coordinator, Carol, took me to Patrick's house.
It was down a small crowded alley hung with dripping wash. I had to bend my head under the hanging clothes .
Their house consisted of two rooms. The larger one had a set of bunk beds for the 7 children to all sleep on .
The oldest is Ann, about age 12. Then Jacob, Timothy, Priscilla, Samuel, Patrick, and Moses- all about 2 years apart.I have no ideas where the parents, Emily and Abraham sleep.
All their clothes are hung from hooks on the ceiling ad walls and in one large trunk.
I was surprised to see photos that I sent of our family in beautiful frames on the wall.
In the rear room was where they did their cooking inside over a wood stove.
    There is no refrigerator and no toilet or running water. They said that they use a common spigot to get water, but it is salty. The salt corrodes their teeth and many of the adults have discolored teeth.
Emily told me that the only toilet for the house complex just collapsed and has to be rebuilt. Until that time, they are allowed to use the toilet at a nearby church.
    We had a chance to talk about their situation, They recently started a payment plan on a 3/8 acre of land in a place far from their house. I believe the total price is around $900 USD. Once it is paid off they are hoping to resell it at a profit and use the proceeds to buy a better piece of land elsewhere. Emily is going to school to become a primary school teacher. Her dream is to some day open her own primary school. Abraham was studying under a man to become a certified mechanic. However, the man suddenly died and he had no proof of his training. Therefore, he is currently a casual laborer- meaning he goes out and searches for work day by day.
     We decided it would be a treat for everyone to go to the nearby Galleria Mall and have a meal together at Kentucky Fried Chicken.
Everyone enjoyed the meal of 2 pieces of chicken, french fries, and some Coke or Sprite. There was even some leftovers.  On the way back to their house, Emily showed me the gasoline station where she had to give birth to little Moses!!
I also leaned that after giving birth to her first child, Ann, something happened to her right eye and she lost sight in it. She said she has had it checked, but doctors say there is no hope for her eye. She said the sun gives her headaches.
     We all had a memorable day together and I look forward to staying in touch with them as the children get older.

No comments:

Post a Comment