Sunday, February 19, 2017

Amani Gardens Inn-Nairobi

    Whenever I  mentioned to someone about going to Nairobi, especially if they were from a missionary family, they would immediately recommend Amani Gardens Inn. Now I can see why! Amani Gardens Inn was formerly a  Mennonite Guest House. Now it has the same feel, but is open to all visitors. From the moment I walked in the front door I was was greeted with smiles, especially from the helpful receptionist, Lillian.
Then I was shown to Room 3, which was arranged by Mary Rose and Greg Dow,
It is a spacious two room unit with a nice shower.However, the grounds are the best part. It is like an oasis in the midst of Nairobi.
     Lillian told me how to walk to the Wassini Suites up the road,where I was able to exercise with Antony in the gym.
Then I received a fantastic deep tissue massage by Beatrice.
It felt good to get the blood circulating in my muscles!
      But one of the most exciting things about Amani Gardens is the mix of interesting people you meet. It is like a magnet. I first met a man from South Carolina who was going  with a group to Uganda to help refugees from South Sudan. He said he was with Trinity South Sudan Ministry. He also suggested Water Missions International for my grandson, Dimitrius,
who is a water and environmental technology student at Thaddeus Stevens College of Technology. He wants to combine water technology with the gospel.
      Next I met a doctor going to Bomet to Tenwek Hospital with a group associated with Samaritan's Purse.It was no shock when this group openly held hands at breakfast and prayed before their meal. Then there was a group from Sankarra Hotels getting motivation training. They had an excellent speaker named Joseph Nginyah,
who sounded a lot like my inspirational idol- Joel Osteen. I was listening and it reminded me to think positive and surround myself with uplifting people.It was also amazing to see business meetings end with employees holding hands and saying The Lords Prayer!
However, the best part was meeting Betsy Stewart,
sister of my former neighbor in Lancaster, Lori Stewart Kapferer. Betsy is at Amani Gardens Inn as a placement from Eastern Mennonite Missions. Her official title is "hostess", but her aim is to make people feel welcome. She has a past connection to Kenya as she has come for several years on medical missions with the Alabaster Mobile Clinic.
      After spending just a few short days at Amani Gardens Inn you get a sense that the world is filled with many many individuals who are actively  helping those in  need. I really look forward to returning Feb. 28-March 4th!!

1 comment:

  1. I love reading about your adventures as well as your observations on life and outreach.

    ReplyDelete