Saturday, February 18, 2017

Consolata Shrine Nairobi

     Today I went to visit the nearby Catholic shrine called Consolata (www.consolatashrine.org) The first thing that is strikingly different is that there is a gate at the entrance with guards. The guards searched the trunk and the glove compartment before allowing me and my driver into the church compound area.
I was used to this when we drove into a mall. At the mall they even wave a mirror under the car searching for bombs. When you enter the mall or store, you are waved over with a metal detector. At most larger stores, there are soldiers in camouflage with large rifles.
     However, once inside the church it looked like most others.
The Mass had many of the same traditional hymns I sang as a child. After Mass, I noticed they have a Perpetual Adoration Chapel just like St. Joseph's Catholic Church in Lancaster.

I saw a sign that said "Polite Rules" urging people not to fall asleep and lay down on the benches. Shortly after Mass, the choir started singing and groomsmen appeared in tuxedos as well as the groom's parents.Outside they had a banner listing the corporal works of mercy such as feed the hungry, give drink to the thirsty, shelter the homeless, visit the prisoners,and clothe the naked.The sign urged  people to post pictures or information about when they performed one of them
. It was a memorable visit and I made my traditional three new wishes at a new church. I plan to go back tomorrow to experience a Mass in Kiswahili,

No comments:

Post a Comment